75 W Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91105, USA
2.3

I bought 6 black leather Sonata chairs from Crate & Barrel in 2012. They were very gently used for about 5 years, then they started getting more use.

Shortly after the use stepped up, we noticed the leather peeling off and cracking and the legs and back loosening. The damage is irreparable and they look terrible. I know it's too late to return them to C & B, plus they were floor models. However, they were in perfect condition when purchased and stayed that way until they started getting daily use.

Started out being very happy with them, now very unhappy with them. At the price point, they should have lasted WAY longer than 6 years.

Product or Service Mentioned: Crate And Barrel Sonata Dining Chair.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

I purchased four of these in 2007 and two more in 20012 because I got a bigger table. I noticed that the newer ones had no springs, I figured C&B did this to save on cost but what I now realize is that they also cheapened the leather.

My old ones look great with a beautiful patina. My newer ones have peeled and cracked and look terrible. It discusses me that I paid almost $500 a chair thinking I would get a lifetime of use. Although they get these from a supplier in Italy, I can’t be sure if C&B was aware of this change in manufacturing.

I am now stuck with four classic chairs that look great and two pieces of garbage.

It has soured me on crate and barrel and I’m not sure if I will purchase anything from them ever again. These are no longer made in leather and I am going to seek an upholstery shop to see if I can match the old leather.

Looking to buy one!

We had the same exact problem with these chairs. We bought 8 and 7 of the 8 have peeled.

The one that didn’t was a slightly more greenish leather so I think it was manufactured in a different place. I bought ours new, they were very gently used and not floor models.

but they were "as is" final sale....

Crate And Barrel Reviews